Has Lombardi Done a Good Job?
Dean Lombardi built the Kings into a Stanley Cup Champion.
Or did they just come together at the right time and everything came into place?
No folks, I’m NOT complaining. That’s why the title is in question form!
Since his arrival on April 21st, 2006, 7 years ago…
- The Kings have never won the division
- They’ve been through five coaches (John Torchetti, Marc Crawford, Terry Murray, John Stevens, Darryl Sutter)
- The Kings record in that time is a respectable 252-221-31-40
His first round draft picks have been hit (Doughty, Schenn, Bernier, Lewis) and BIG miss (Teubert, Hickey). His 2nd round draft picks are likely #1 in the league.
He’s often talked about emulating the Red Wings and New Jersey. Teams that develop from within and then bring up their players who can step right in.
Forward wise, in 7 years, this is who Lombardi has developed in Manchester:
Marc Andre Cliche
Granted, Kyle Clifford and Wayne Simmonds spent absolutely zero time in Manchester and neither was a first round pick so I give Lombardi and his staff credit where credit is due.
Trade wise… he’s made some good ones, he’s made some bad ones:
- Patrick O’Sullivan for Pavol Demitra
- Brent Sopel for the pick that brought us Wayne Simmonds
- Cammalleri for a 1st round pick
- Lubo for Stoll and Greene (after signing Lubo to a 7 year deal)
- Justin Williams for Patrick O’Sullivan and a 2nd
- Rich Clune for Lauri Tukonen (an early 1st round pick by Al Murray and Dave Taylor)
- Jack Johnson and a 1st for Jeff Carter
- Westgarth for anything
- Dan Cloutier (although the 2 draft picks selected, Taylor Ellington and Brayden McNabb aren’t really household names)
- trading his two first round picks to draft Teubert to me is just as bad as Dave Taylor drafting Tambellini and Boyle instead of Perry
- Norstrom for crap plus a first round pick which he traded in order to draft Colten Teubert
- Brad Richardson for a 2nd round pick
- Brian Boyle for a 3rd round pick
- Penner for a 1st (Klefbon) and Teubert
- Loktionov for a 5th
- Smyth for Fraser
- Jack Johnson and Oleg Tverdovsky for Tim Gleason and Eric Belanger
- Ryan Smyth for Kyle Quincey, Tom Preissing
- Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn and a 2nd for Mike Richards (yes, Richards helped the Kings win the cup, but TRADE wise, this was an even if not skewed towards the Flyers side.
So? Other than the Kings winning the cup, has he done a good job? Or, he’s done a good job BECAUSE they won a Stanley Cup?